[Event] 1st ANNUAL APTIS CONFERENCE, Association of Programmes in Translation and Interpreting Studies of the UK and Ireland
1st ANNUAL APTIS CONFERENCE
Association of Programmes in Translation and Interpreting Studies
of the UK and Ireland
Aston University, Birmingham 23–24 November 2018
Challenges and Opportunities
in Teaching Translation & Interpreting
APTIS (Association of Programmes in Translation and Interpreting Studies of the UK and Ireland) was created in Newcastle in September 2017. Its aim is to advance education for the public benefit, so as to improve the quality of learning and teaching as well as research on translation and interpreting programmes at HE institutions. APTIS therefore encourages research into all aspects of translation and interpreting at UK and Irish HE institutions and dissemination thereof. It supports the use, application and impact of scholarly research in that context, and it also supports current and future professionals in the field. In order to do so, APTIS seeks to provide a forum for the discussion and elaboration of these aims by members and to consult and co-operate with other professional organisations and stakeholders in the achievement of common objectives.
The 1st Annual APTIS Conference, to be held at Aston University on 23-24 November 2018, will act as a platform from which to enable translator and interpreter trainers, professionals and academics alike, to exchange ideas about the challenges and opportunities in translation and interpreting teaching in the current Irish and British contexts.
APTIS welcomes proposals for papers, panels and hands-on workshops for its 1st Annual Conference. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Online training in Translation and Interpreting Studies (TIS)
- Blended learning in TIS
- The role of theory in TIS training
- New technologies in the Translation and Interpreting (T&I) classroom
- Language-independent translation training
- Automation and interpreting training
- T&I training and the workplace
- Translator’s competences, interpreter’s competences
- Directionality in T&I training
- T&I curricula
- Training the trainers
- Teaching language for translators and interpreters
- Machine translation and post-editing in translator training
- T&I training and future skills
- Assessing T&I skills
APTIS invites proposals for 20-minute papers, 40-minute hands-on workshops and 2-hour panels for its 1st Annual Conference. Proposals should be submitted through EasyChair and should include the following information:
Title, author’s name and affiliation, email address, abstract (300 words max.), 5 keywords, author biodata (100 words max.), audiovisual requirements.
Title of the panel, name of panel coordinator, e-mail and affiliation, and summary of panel.
Title of all individual papers, name, e-mail and affiliation of all the members on the panel, summary (300 words max.), each author’s biodata (100 words max.) and audiovisual requirements.
HANDS-ON WORKSHOPS (practical sessions)
Title, presenter’s name and affiliation, email address, abstract (400-500 words approximately, including whether any previous working knowledge or experience is expected from participants in advance, if and when applicable), 5 keywords, presenter’s biodata (100 words max.), audiovisual and software requirements
Please name your attachment with the format: authorname.doc.
The deadline for sending proposals is 31 May 2018.
- Prof María González-Davies, Universitat Ramon Llull, Barcelona
- Prof Sabine Braun, University of Surrey
- Dr JC Penet, Newcastle University
- Dr Olga Castro, Aston University
- Dr Anne Stokes, University of Stirling
- Dr Erika Fülöp, Lancaster University
- Dr Maria Fernandez-Parra, Swansea University / Prifysgol Abertawe
- Dr Anna Strowe, University of Manchester
- Prof Graham Turner, Heriot-Watt University
- Dr David Orrego-Carmona, Aston University
- Dr Olga Castro, Aston University
- Prof Frank Austermuehl, Aston University
- Kostas Plisiotis, Aston University
More information is available at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aptis2018 .